Friday 16 October 2009

House of Blues @ Old Orleans


Day: Thursdays
Time:7:30PM/8:00PM till 11:00PM
Price: Free

I'm no expert on blues and given the choice at home, I wouldn't listen to the straight-up real proper blues variety. Granted, I like Led Zeppelin, Clutch, AC/DC, ZZ Top and plenty of others that incorporated blues at some point or other, but it's not really the same. Which is why, when it comes to hearing blues in a live situation, I'm expected to scoff and run away to some metal bar for some comfort from a long haired, leather clad, biker-type rocker.

Not the case. Infact, it couldn't be further from the truth if you fired it from a cannon into the sun. Hearing blues whilst nursing a drink is something special. It's the kind of relaxed oposite of what I'd normally go to. I like to think of it as a night off from reality. So imagine my joy when I found out there was a blues night every week, minutes away and free to enter. Yeah, it was pretty joyous.

House of Blues at Old Orleans (located in the Printworks) is an amazingly peaceful night out that I believe everyone with ears should pen into their diary. The premise is, 3 blues bands/artists (though what defines blues can be very sketchy here. It seems an acoustic guitar usually qualifies apparently) play an equal length set each and then. Well. Then you go home. That simple. I've only been for 2 weeks thus far, but both weeks have provided at least one amazing act and two average ones. But so long as the amazing one is first, you'll be drunk by the second act and won't care. That's all I have to say on this. It's not technically a review as a call to arms. Get to Old Orleans every Thursday so that they can make plenty of money and continue to do this for months and months.

No comments:

Post a Comment